Tasha Scott Schaffner, PLLC - Attorneys at law Tasha Scott Schaffner, PLLC - Attorneys at law
Call Today, Protect Your Rights


Practice Areas Menu

blog Archives

Useful ideas for fathers seeking custody

The film and book industries have not really done justice regarding how they portray fathers in America. Often, characters in movies or novels come across as lazy, disinterested parties who try to escape the obligations and responsibilities that accompany parenthood. If such characterizations irritate you, you are definitely not alone in your frustration. The fact is that there are many wonderful fathers out there who want nothing more than to fulfill their roles as best they can to help their children become well-adjusted, productive, happy adults.

Overcoming problems regarding post-divorce living situations

As you help your children come to terms with your divorce, you may encounter various challenging situations. Most Kentucky parents say they have some good days and some bad regarding how their kids adapt to post-divorce lifestyles. One of the biggest issues on your plate at this time likely involves living arrangements. The type of custody order the court hands down may affect your children's living situation. 

When do grandparents have a right to seek custody or visitation?

Grandparents play a special role in the lives of their grandchildren. Divorce and custody issues can disrupt a healthy and important relationship, and Kentucky grandparents often wonder if there is a legal way by which they can fight for either custody or regular access to their grandkids.

When you can't keep up with your spousal support payments

You did it. You went through the divorce process and are now working on moving forward in your life. As part of your divorce decree, you've been ordered to pay spousal support -- also known as maintenance -- to your ex. At first it was okay, but a change in circumstances has made it difficult to keep up with this obligation. What can you and other Kentucky residents in your situation do to turn things around?

Is there any way that I can adopt my stepchildren?

If you marry a person who is a parent, you may reach a point where you wish to adopt your stepkids. Stepparent adoption can be a beautiful way to grow your Kentucky family, but there could be certain roadblocks standing between you and your ultimate objective. If you are looking to formalize and legally establish your relationship with your stepkids, you would be wise to seek a full understanding of your options.

Yes, establishing paternity matters

You have a child with your girlfriend. You know the baby is yours and you are ready to take on the responsibility of being a father. Unexpectedly, your significant other leaves you and takes the child with her. According to the laws of Kentucky, without establishing paternity you may not have any rights to your own child.

When your spousal support just isn't enough

During your marriage, you stayed home to raise the kids or experienced a number of other circumstances that kept you away from the job force. This left you fully financially dependent on your spouse. There is nothing wrong with this; in fact, it is a situation in which many Kentucky residents find themselves. However, you got a divorce and you now find yourself struggling financially despite being awarded spousal support. What can you do?

What to do if you believe your child's other parent is an addict?

Getting divorced is typically difficult in more ways than one. If your situation is similar to many others in Kentucky, you may face various financial challenges during and after divorce, as well was emotional struggles and problems related to parenting. In fact, the latter is often a topic of contentious debate in family court, and some problems can get blown so out of proportion they seem impossible to resolve. When an extenuating factor exacerbates a particular issue, you may be wrought with stress and anxiety.

Could the collaborative divorce method work for your case?

When you first tied the knot, you may have believed that your marriage would stand the test of time and you would remain married for the rest of your life. Of course, you may also find yourself -- as many people do -- facing divorce. This situation may have blindsided you or you may have felt it coming for some time. Whatever the case, you now must determine how to approach your legal proceedings.

Tasha Scott Schaffner, PLLC - Attorneys at law

505 Centre View Blvd.
Crestview Hills, KY 41017

Phone: 859-491-1011
Fax: 859-491-1899
Map & Directions